Agoura Hills ADU
With its well-regarded public schools, beautiful parks, gorgeous mountain views, and small town charm, Agoura Hills is considered one of the best places to live and raise a family in Southern California. If you’re a homeowner in Agoura Hills, you have an excellent opportunity to both raise your property value and earn additional income through the addition of an accessory dwelling unit.
An accessory dwelling unit, or ADU, is a building that is constructed on a residential property as a secondary structure either independently of or attached to the primary residential structure. ADUs go by several names, including secondary dwelling units, in-law units, “granny flats,” and backyard cottages. They are affordable add-ons for residential property owners who want to construct an additional living, utilitarian, or recreational space. ADUs can be built on both multi-family or single-family properties.
ADUs are budget-friendly investments for homeowners for a variety of reasons, and they are especially beneficial for people seeking additional income. Housing in California is a highly valued commodity, particularly in the more populous cities throughout Southern California. ADUs provide a needed resource for prospective renters seeking affordable housing, so they offer both short and long-term investment returns. However, even homeowners who don’t want to rent the space will still increase the value of their property considerably. The addition of a private gym, for example, or a home theater can raise the property value by as much as 51 percent.
Although ADUs are not new, many people are newly aware of the advantages of ADUs because laws governing their development have been relaxed in recent years. The permitting processes for the planning and construction of ADUs in Agoura Hills are considerably easier than they were only 10 years ago. So, if you think building an ADU could be right for your financial and personal goals, here are a few benefits of constructing an ADU on your property:
- ADUs are cost-effective to build and maintain
- ADUs don’t require the purchase of additional property
- ADUs are environmentally friendly
- ADUs can be used for multiple purposes
Types of Accessory Dwelling Units
The majority of ADUs are built for housing, either rental housing or as a residence for family members or guests. ADUs are excellent housing resources because, in addition to being affordable, they offer almost total privacy for all parties. Residential structures are especially in-demand among homeowners in Agoura Hills; ADUs offer residents a valuable resource while providing property owners with reliable income potential. Homeowners can opt to construct one of several different types of ADUs, including:
- Detached ADU: An ADU that is constructed entirely separately from the main building.
- Attached ADU: An ADU that is built into either the main residence or on top of the garage. Though it is attached to the primary residence, it has its own separate entrance, and functions as an independent dwelling.
- Garage Conversion: Garage conversions are ADUs that have either been constructed on top of an existing garage or built within the garage, creating an entire living space.
- Junior ADU: An attached, detached, or garage conversion ADU under 500 square feet.
EcoSmart Builders delivers end-to-end project management and construction services for homeowners seeking to build ADUs in Agoura Hills and Los Angeles County. For more information about EcoSmart Builders’ construction solutions or to qualify your residence, please visit our information page.